If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2nd Session, 41st Parliament,
62-63 Elizabeth II, 2013-2014
house of commons of canada
An Act to amend the Statistics Act (removal of imprisonment)
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Removal of Imprisonment in Relation to Mandatory Surveys Act.
R.S., c. S-19
2. Subsection 18.1(2) of the Statistics Act is replaced by the following:
Census in 2006 or later and household surveys in 2011 or later
(2) The information contained in the returns of each census of population taken in 2006 or later, or any related household survey taken in 2011 or later, is no longer subject to sections 17 and 18 ninety-two years after the census or survey is taken, but only if the person to whom the information relates consents, at the time of the census or survey, as the case may be, to the release of the information ninety-two years later.
3. The portion of section 31 of the Act after paragraph (b) is replaced by the following:
is, for every refusal or neglect, or false answer or deception, guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $500.
4. The portion of section 32 of the Act after paragraph (b) is replaced by the following:
is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000.
5. The Act is amended by adding the following after section 32:
32.1 A term of imprisonment is not to be imposed in default of payment of a fine imposed under section 31 or 32.
Published under authority of the Speaker of the House of Commons